Thursday, June 26, 2014

Kahlua Colada

I decided not to put any demands on myself to post any blog updates while on vacation. I figured, if it happened it happened. I knew there was no way I was going to do any sewing tutorials (no sewing machine) or any baking recipes (way too hot here to have the oven on!) but a cocktail recipe, now that I could do! Click below for the recipe and a little look at our vacation thus far. Oh and you're allowed to be jealous, perfectly understandable ;) 


So I know cocktails aren't everybody's thing and to be honest I can't remember the last time I had one before this vacation. Something about cocktails just seem perfect while on vacation, but I never think about having one in my normal life. Usually I'll have a glass of wine a couple of times a week, but after making this Kahlua Colada, I might have to change things up and have a cocktail once in a while (maybe it will make me feel like I'm on vacation, if I close my eyes). Anyway, I got the idea for making this cocktail from my mother in law. The last time we were all in Hawaii for my wedding, she discovered Kahlua Coladas and loved them. So in honour of her, I decided to try and replicate what I remember them tasting like. After a bit of trial and error and making a couple virgin versions (for the little bears), I think I came up with a pretty close replica. 

Ingredients 
(serves 2)

  • 2 shots Kahlua
  • 1-2 shots Macadamia Nut liqueur (can also use Coconut liqueur)
  • 2 scoops Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
  • 200 ml Pineapple Juice
  • 150 ml Coconut Cream 
  • 1 cup Ice
  • Fresh Pineapple (for garnish)
  • Whipped Cream (for garnish)
Step 1: place ice, kahlua, liqueur, ice cream, juice and coconut cream into a blender. Blend on high until all of the ice has been broken down to a slushy consistency. 

Step 2: Pour the kahlua colada into a cocktail glass.

Step 3: Cut a triangle piece of pineapple and slip in onto the edge of the glass. Top with whipped cream

Delicious! 

For a virgin version use all the same ingredients but omit the kahlua and liqueur and add Torani's macadamia nut syrup. 

Charlie enjoying his virgin colada 

We've been enjoying our time escaping the Australian winter. Beach, sun, ice cream, swimming, sand castles, snorkelling everyday...can't complain! 

I might post another update while still on vacation or I may leave it until we're back home. At least you won't have to wonder where the heck I've gone to.

Enjoy your cocktail!



No comments:

Post a Comment