Thursday, January 16, 2014

Flutter Sleeve Dress Tutorial and Free Pattern



Isla had her mind made up that she wanted a cute teddy bear with pretty rainbow pyjamas for Christmas and nothing else would do, this was six days before Christmas! I quickly got onto ebay and purchased said fabric and tracked down the cutest teddy I could find that would get here in time. Isla loves the Jellycat little rabbits she's had since she was a baby so when I found the Jellycat teddy bear I thought it would be a hit. I spent ages scouring the internet trying to find a free pattern for some cute pyjamas for the teddy, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for so I ended up making my own pattern and it turned out to be really simple and quick to make and luckily Isla was super excited on Christmas day to receive exactly what she asked Santa for. I promised a free pattern and tutorial for the teddy pyjamas, the pattern can be downloaded by clicking here and below is the step by step tutorial. This is the first time I've done a sewing tutorial so if I've missed anything or something needs clarification please feel free to leave a comment.

Happy sewing!





Flutter Sleeve Dress Tutorial


Step 1: Download pattern and cut out two dress pattern pieces and two sleeve pieces on the fold where indicated

Step 2: Start with the sleeve pieces. The longest side of each piece needs to be hemmed as this will be the outside flutter part of the sleeve on the dress. Fold, iron and pin along the edge, making the hem as small as you can. Cut off any excess fabric along the raw edge (see below pic).


Step 3: Sew sleeve hem. Sew as close to the folded inner edge as you can. 


Step 4: Pin one sleeve piece to one dress piece along the curve (right sides together). Repeat along the opposite sleeve and dress curve.


Step 5: Repeat with the other dress piece. It should look like the below pic once all pinned. Make sure to remember to pin right sides together. Sew the sleeve pieces to the dress pieces along the pinned curves.


Step 6: Press the shoulder seams. Then zigzag stitch the seams closed or alternatively you can use an overlocker or pinking sheers to stop the fabric fraying. 

Step 7: With the dress right sides together, pin and sew the side seams closed. Press seams and finish with a zigzag stitch, overlocker or pinking sheers. 


Step 8: Keep the dress wrong side out and hem the bottom by folding it up by 10mm then another 10mm, iron, pin and then sew the bottom hem as close to the inner edge as possible. 


Step 9: Fold the top of the dress in the same way that you just folded and hemmed the bottom. 


Step 10: When sewing leave a 1 centimetre gap unsewn. This is a channel for threading the elastic through so make sure the hem is a little wider than your elastic. 


Step 11: Using a safety pin attached to one end of your elastic, thread it through the opening in the channel you just sewed. 


Step 12: Pull the elastic tight enough to gather the neck line but not so tight that you can't get it over the teddy's head. Cut the elastic once it's as taut as you want and sew the two ends together. 

Step 13: Sew shut the opening you left to thread the elastic through. 

Step 14: Finally add a cute bow embellishment to the front of the dress. 


The result... a very happy little girl :)












24 comments:

  1. do you still have the pattern available for download? there is no button to do so on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't see the pattern pieces, only the directions. Also, this looks like a relatively small bear, can you tell me how big it is? Would it work for the Build A Bear size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I should have looked more closely! I have found my answers. Thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I can not seem to find the pattern either?

      Delete
  4. I would like to have the Flutter Sleeve Dress for Teddy Bear, but cannot get it. Could you please send me the pattern for this for my little girl.. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please could you send me the pattern for the Flutter Sleeve dress for Teddy bear.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please could you send me the pattern for the flutter sleeve dress for teddy bear, cant seem to find it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you please send me the pattern for flutter sleeve dress for teddy bear?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The link to your pattern download in the introductory text is broken.Is it possible that it could be fixed? I would love to make this for my grandaughter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I love this dress and my little girl would like to make one for her teddy but I can't download the pattern Please could I have this sent to me so that we can make it. Thank you so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I’d love to try this pattern but unfortunately, the link to download is not working. Can you please email me a copy or direct me to where I am able to download it from. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you please send me the pattern for the flutter sleeve dress for teddy bear. I don't see it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you please send me the flatter sleeve patter many thanks jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  13. link not working for pattern, can you please send me pattern

    ReplyDelete
  14. please answer all these comments and add a new link because its not working.

    ReplyDelete
  15. please could you send me the pattern also

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I am unable to access the pattern - can you please advise how it can be accessed. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. The HERE button didn't work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get the pattern???

      Delete
  18. Could you please send me the patter? The button did not work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the perfect wee dress for my twin granddaughters’ new teddies. However the link to the pattern isn’t working. I would be thrilled if you could email the pattern.
    Simihillsbev@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. can you please email me the pattern? It's adorable!!!
    cathylongman@gmail.co

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please email me the pattern. Lovely dress. Thanks in advance. robyn.nadine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My 5yr old granddaughter asked me to make her Build-a-Bear a dress and this is perfect! Although the link to the pattern doesn't work. Can you please review or even send me the pattern? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete